Google Sites Tutorials
Tip to Completing This Badge
Create a new website by going to http://sites.google.com. Do not use the class website template that Google provides—use a blank template! Trust us, it’ll be easier this way!
Creating a Google Site
Signing in to your Google Site
Google Site Basics
Creating a New Page
Creating an Announcement Page
Editing an Announcement Post
Deleting a Page
Recovering Saved Versions of a Page
Changing your Site's Name
Change Themes and Add Sidebar Graphics
I am not exaggerating when I say that your best resource will probably be Google’s help menus. As you create a website, notice if there are links to help documents, because Google often has them for you in all sorts of places. Also, just look for the “help” link in the upper right of the screen when you are logged in.
To help you, here are a few of the key tutorials from Google that may help:
- Beginner’s Guide (notice the links on the left to creating your site, editing you site, inserting gadgets, and changing the look of your site.
- Inserting a map
- Inserting a calendar
- This tutorial explains how to make pages under another page. This is how you create the different “sections” of pages we talk about in the rubric
- An explanation of the class announcements or blog page.
- Embedding photos and slideshows
- Embedding docs, presentations, surveys, and spreadsheets
- Changing your site navigation (the links to the other pages in your site) to be along the top instead of vertical on the side. (you don’t need to do this, but many like to)
In addition, this website is an excellent resource, showing many cool things you can add to your Google Site.
Reminder: The sidebar will show two levels of pages by default.
Creating a Hyperlink
Inserting an image from your computer
Inserting an image using a url
Inserting Picasa Photos and Slideshows
Inserting Google Gadgets
Adding a Comment Box
Embedding a Document
Embedding an Editable Google Document
Embedding a Presentation
Embedding a Google Calendar
Embedding a YouTube Video
Embedding media using embed codes
Embedding media using an embed gadget.
Creating a contact form using Google Forms
Contact Form Alternative: Follow this link to learn how to include a script in your form that will email the actual message from the sender to you.
Follow this link to learn how to embed a calendar from BYU Learning Suite.